If you have had to eliminate dairy from your diet, you have probably considered the merits of soy milk vs almond milk, two very popular milk substitutes. Both are derived from very nutrient rich plant sources and have many health benefits.
Soy milk is made from soybeans soaked in water and ground until they become liquid. Almond milk, on the other hand, is derived from ground almonds and water.
Here are some more nutritional attributes of soy milk and almond milk.
Advantages of both drinks
Both drinks are gluten-free and ideal for vegans,those who are lactose intolerant, or those who are allergic dairy products. They even make good vegan substitutes for milk. Soy and almond milk are also excellent sources of all essential minerals including manganese, magnesium, zinc, copper, phosphorus, zinc, copper and iron. These minerals help improve your blood oxygenation, and protect you against cancer control your blood pressure.
Both soy and almond milk are superb sources of B vitamins. This helps you burn calories efficiently. Certainly, each of the two drinks of each drink has a similar amount of calories as a glass of skim milk and each can be used like milk in many cases (with cereal for example, or even in coffee).
Check This: STRESS: INFERTILITY IN WOMEN.
Here are some more aspects to consider when comparing soy milk and almond milk.
Soy milk vs Almond milk: differences
Soy milk has more proteins than almond milk
Soy milk does not have as pleasing a taste as almond milk which tends to be sweet and refreshing and a good substitute for milk in sweet dishes. Soy milk works better than almond milk as an ingredient in pasta sauce, salad dressing, or mashed potatoes.
Almond milk has less fats and sugaR
There are more varieties of soy milk than almond milk.
Special advantages of Soy milk
- As mentioned, soy milk contains a rich array of nutrients. These include omega-3 fatty acids, unsaturated fat, a mere four grams of fat in one 250 ml serving, and various proteins, calcium, iron, sodium and riboflavin. As a result, soy milk has these special benefits.
- Soy milk contains isoflavones which are estrogen like natural substances. Therefore soy can provide some of the benefits have natural estrogen to pre and post menopausal women. Isoflavones in soy milk also can help lower blood cholesterol levels.
- Soy milk contains fewer carbohydrates than almond milk. Therefore, it is more attractive to diabetics than almond milk.
- Soy milk can also help prevent heart disease since it has no cholesterol.
- Soy milk can reduce fat you ingested from meat or oil.
- Soy milk’s protein is as good as the protein from milk, eggs or chicken. Manganese which is present in soy milk catalyzes various enzymes in the body.
What to watch out for:
Soy milk has been getting a bad rap lately amidst reports that it can cause cancer. So Avoid excess use of soy. It may contribute to breast cancer or abdominal cancer. Some brands contain excessive amounts of sugar and chemicals (buy organic)The high levels of phytoestrogen in soy milk could lower testosterone levels in males possibly affecting sperm production.
Occasionally some people develop allergies, as evidenced by excessive coughing, sneezing and congestion. Some individuals develop eczema, swelling or acne.
Almond milk nutrients and special benefits
Here are some nutritional facts about almond milk.
As mentioned it is very low in fat, contains fiber and protein as is free of cholesterol and saturated fat. In addition it is rich in omega fatty acids and minerals such as manganese, selenium, and has especially high levels of vitamin E. As a result, almond milk supports the growth and repair of body functions efficient breakdown of food into energy (because of manganese)supports healthy bone formation provides anti-oxidants into the blood stream to help destroy free radicals that damage cells improves the function of reproductive and systems and thyroid function (selenium)contributes to normal blood pressure (potassium)supports cardio-vascular health from flavonoids that are found in almond skin.
What to watch out for:
Almond milk could be a risky choice for those with low thyroid functions since they may contribute to goiter formation. Breast milk is better than almond milk for infants.